When you are looking to outsource your next interactive exhibit, it is imperative that your audiovisual vendor excels at storytelling. If their first comments are about the creative approach and making a connection with visitors, that is a good sign. You may be the content expert, but it is your vendor’s job to interpret the story in a way that your target audiences find engaging and memorable.
Top Ten Questions to Ask Perspective Interactive Exhibit Vendors
Once your initial project is identified, provide prospective vendors the answers to these ten questions along with a list of “must-haves” and “like-to-haves.” These answers will help guide their proposal and will assist them in personalizing their approach.
- Who is your target audience? Whether this is your typical visitor or your goal is to attract a new demographic, be as specific as possible.
- What are your goals? Identify the call to action and/or an emotional connection you wish to make.
- What are your communication objectives? List the three most important messages for visitors to remember.
- Who is the voice of the exhibit? This might be a museum director, curator, professional talent, celebrity, historic character (real or fictitious) or even an artifact.
- What elements does the museum own or have access to? This can include artifacts, graphic designs, photos, audio/video assets, etc.
- Do you want museum staff to update content for the media program? If so, what is their technical skill level and how often do you anticipate revisions?
- Does the museum own or wish to purchase AV hardware for the exhibit?
- Does the content require progression of thought or can it be accessed randomly?
- How much ambient sound is in proximity to where the exhibit will be located?
- What ADA requirements need to be met (physical, visual, audio) and how will this affect the storytelling?
Finally, when selecting a vendor to assist with your audiovisual or interactive exhibit needs, we recommend sending a Request for Proposal for one project and providing as much information as possible to ensure an apples-to-apples comparison. You can then see how multiple vendors approach the same project and make a well-informed selection.
Now let the challenge begin!
Interested in learning more about some of the interactive exhibit work Impact Communications has completed for our clients? Check out:
- Mission Nutrition Exhibit Gallery: Created for the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center in Mobile, AL, this interactive exhibit includes an Augmented Reality app. Impact designed and fabricated exhibitry, developed the content, designed and produced graphics and animations, developed games, tested and installed all components.
- Battle of Midway: Six Minutes that Changed History, which combines the use of digital media and authentic exhibit fabrication in a 4,000 square foot permanent exhibit housed at the USS Midway Museum.
In celebration of Junior Achievement’s 100th anniversary, Impact Communications has partnered with Junior Achievement USA to develop another fun and educational Augmented Reality App, JA History. The app features a young actress and animated graphics that take us through the decades to educate viewers on the remarkable history of Junior Achievement USA.
Impact has designed, scripted and produced all videos, graphics and app development, along with designing the AR triggers.
JA USA helps students realize that the education they are getting today will help them to have a bright future tomorrow. JA’s unique, volunteer-delivered programs, show them the many possibilities that lay before them.
When utilizing the app, visitors will:
- Learn about the 100-year history of Junior Achievement USA.
- Experience the growth of Junior Achievement in various eras.
- Enjoy interacting with innovative technology.
JA History may be downloaded for free from the App Store and Google Play. This app may be enjoyed at any of the 109 JA chapter offices across the United States, where the augmented reality trigger art is displayed. On the go? At home? You may also enjoy this app by downloading your own printable copies of the trigger art. Download the art via the main menu of the app. Once you have the printed trigger art, simply open the app and aim your device at one image at a time to experience augmented reality.
Whether it is producing a corporate meeting or a large-scale event, providing expert video production, executing an interactive exhibit, or the multitude of services in between, we are always striving to make an impact on our clients and their key stakeholders with the services we provide.
One of the things we always aim to achieve for our clients is to help them tell their story – one that is memorable enough for social media (because in this day and age, if it’s not “Instagram-worthy” it’s not memorable) and beyond! Impact Communications is comprised of thought leaders, trend setters and risk-takers. With nearly a 40-year history, we have a lot of stories to tell and we can’t wait to share them here with you.
Be sure to check in regularly to learn more about how we support our clients, the breadth of our services, and of course the latest industry trends and insights. We also plan to capture the true essence of what makes us unique – our incredible team!